I am on the path to reversing injuries – both permanent and current. A topic I have been long been interested in. Recently I began reading about the work Tim Ferriss has done to rid himself of his past injuries – this has taken my interest to the next level. I have had an ankle injury since March 2012. It is now November 2012. That is too long. It affects way too much of my life to let it slide (well, any further. How have I let it go this long?!)
I have tried the following:
• RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) – Although not for a very long period of time and not consistently. I did not see enough improvement to inspire carrying on with this method. Also, I am to impatient. And, I have stuff to do. like get my kid to school and play with him and run after him on his bike. Then there is the housework. (If only I could eliminate that one… perhaps I will. To be continued…)
• Yoga – I think I may have furthered my injury because I really want to keep up with the class. I know I am supposed to be present with MY body and stay with my “edge”. Yoga is an incredible tool. I abuse it. So, after trying 2 classes I decided to stick with a home practice so that I can go at my own pace more easily. The only problem is that I don’t do it consistently. Far from it.
• Positive Thinking / The Law of Attraction- I even watched The Secret. I loved that movie …except for some of the strong personalities that made me cringe a little and these weird dramatizations that seemed out of place. I looked passed that though and it was well worth it. I highly recommended. Or maybe the book version would be easier to take.
Everything is possible, nothing is impossible. There are no limits. Whatever you can dream of can be yours.
Some of it can come off as cheesy or unbelievable but I chose to look past what doesn’t appeal because there are many treasures to be found. Just take this inspiration from Bruce Lee:
Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.
- Try out my MD Dr in SF for acupuncture
- Watch and try out some Egoscue exercises/therapies.
- Read the book sitting on my bookshelf on another posture correcting technique called the Gokhale Method by Esther Gokhale “8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back”. I went to their free workshop. It was wonderful! Between that and the free chapter of her book that I initially got improved my well being and my body awareness.
- I really want to try ART (Active Release Techniques) - deals with healing connective tissue stuff that is the root of a lot of body issues. Check this out. Amazing stuff.
- As well as Advanced Muscle-Integration Therapy (AMIT) - deals with healing connective tissue stuff that is the root of a lot of body issues. Check this out. Amazing stuff here too.
Here I go. On my healing quest. I will document it in my blog. So stay tuned to find out more and let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas.